Prep time 15 minutes
cook time 20-25 minutes
Solid Vegetable Shortening
1-1/4 cups of corn meal
1/2 TSP of salt
2/3rd cup of all purpose flour
1 /4 cup of sugar
1 cup of milk
1 TBSP baking powder
3 TBSP mayonnaise
1 TBSP vanilla
1. Pre heat oven 425 degrees
2. Add the shortening to the skillet. Put the 10 inch cast iron skillet in the oven as it pre heats
3. Combine all the ingredients and mix well.
4. Once the oven has reached 425, removed the skillet. Use an oven mitt, pan will be HOT!
5. Pour the batter into the skillet
6. Bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes. The top should be golden brown
7. Let cool and place on baking rack.
(if you want to add some additional flavor, I might suggest raspberries or sliced strawberries. Place them evenly around the outer edge and bakes as normal.